We can recommend nearby restaurants, of which there are many. If guests are staying for several nights we are more than happy to provide dinner on one of the nights. This will need to be booked in advance.
Recommended local restaurants:
- Indaba on the Beach, Swanpool, Falmouth
- The Cove, Maenporth, Falmouth
- The Greenbank Hotel, Harbourside, Falmouth
- The Ferryboat Inn, Helford Passage
- Castaways, Mylor Harbour *
- Trengilly Wartha Inn, near Constantine
- Pandora Inn at Restronguet *
- Halzephron Inn, Gunwalloe
- The Royal Oak pub, Perranwell
- Flushing Quay Restaurant, Flushing *
- The Meudon Hotel
* can be reached by boat/ferry from Falmouth
Gardens to Visit
There are numerous beautiful gardens to visit, some of them world class and world famous. Many of them are National Trust, but others are privately owned. More information is available from the Cornwall Gardens Society.
- Trebah, Glendurgan, & Penjerrick (Mawnan Smith)
- Trelissick (near Truro)
- Bonython (Lizard)
- The Eden Project (St Austell)
- The Lost Gardens of Heligan (Mevagissey)
- Caerhays (near Mevagissey)
- Trewithen (near Truro)
Also award-winning nurseries …
- Burncoose (Ponsanooth)
- Trevena Cross (Helston)
Other Places to Visit
Bosvathick is a convenient base from which to visit many other places of interest, such as museums, art galleries, etc.
- The ancient market town of Helston
- The Maritime Port of Falmouth
- The city of Truro
- There is also a regular passenger ferry service to St. Mawes and the Roseland Peninsula
- Poldark Mine – a disused tin mine near Helston
- The National Maritime Museum (Falmouth )
- The Seal Sanctuary (Gweek)
- Art galleries – the Tate, Leach and Barbara Hepworth Galleries (St Ives) and Penlee Gallery (Penzance)
- Potager Garden and glasshouse cafe (Constantine)
Houses of Interest
In addition to some wonderful National Trust houses, many private houses are also open to the public. Stephen Tyrrell is an architectural historian and can give advice on local history and its buildings. Listed below are some of the bigger houses, but there are many smaller that are just as spectacular. More information is available from the Historic Houses Association and the National Trust.
- Godolphin House and Gardens (near Helston)
- Trerice (near Newquay)
- Lanhydrock (near Bodmin)
- St Michael’s Mount (Penzance)
- Pencarrow (near Wadebridge)
- Prideaux Place (near Padstow)
Beaches and Walks
There are many beaches within easy reach, including those in the Falmouth area, Helford River and Lizard Peninsula, and the north coast beaches are only a ¾-1 hour drive. There is a coastal walk right round Cornwall, and there are particularly beautiful walks in the immediate area of coastline and along local public footpaths.
The ancient market town of Helston is half an hour away, and the Blue Anchor pub is well worth a visit to try the delicious renowned locally brewed beer ‘Spingo’ – otherwise available only in Penryn at the Seven Stars pub. Falmouth, with its busy docks and attractive seafront and coastline, is 15 minutes’ drive, and its much more historic neighbour, Penryn, is at the top of the estuary. The city of Truro is twenty minutes’ drive, where Cornwall’s cathedral is situated, and also the excellent County Museum.
There is a passenger ferry between Helford Passage and Helford Village, with good walks and good pubs on the other side of the river. Boats are available to hire in Helford village. Truro can also be reached by passenger ferry from Falmouth, from where there are regular return trips. There is also a regular passenger ferry service from Falmouth to St Mawes on the Roseland Peninsula. To reach the Roseland by car, take the King Harry Ferry across the Truro River – a wonderfully picturesque crossing.
For those who enjoy HORSE RIDING, there is a popular riding stables next door where riders of all ages and stages can go on escorted rides through the woods and surrounding countryside. There are also several GOLF courses within easy reach.
For SEA FISHING, water-borne PHOTOGRAPHY and SIGHTSEEING in the Falmouth Bay/Lizard area, Specialised Charters on Obsession provide boat charters from Falmouth .
Bosvathick is 10 minutes’ drive from the Tremough Campus in Penryn, and 15 minutes’ drive from the Falmouth Campus of Exeter University.